Getting personal with AU sport stars: Alexis Dobbs, Emily Maher, John Schoof | The American Word

Getting personal with AU sport stars: Alexis Dobbs, Emily Maher, John Schoof

Kate McDaniel | 4/24/13 10:24pm

Editor’s Note: This article was originally published in the April 25 print edition of our magazine.

John Schoof

Alexis Dobbs

Photo by:

1) Do you have any pre-game rituals or superstitions?

I listen to the same music before a game, including Eminem. I also always wear orange socks underneath my game socks. I do wash them between games, though.

2) What has been your favorite class at AU?

I really liked Bio 200-Structure and Function of the Human Body. As an athlete it was really interesting to see how the class parallels my life.

3) If you could live in a Disney movie, which one would you pick?

“The Lion King,” that’s a good one. I definitely wouldn’t want to be Mufasa, because he dies… probably Rafiki. He’s a pretty cool character.

4) If someone wrote a biography about you, what do you think the title would be?

“What a Joker.” I’m a pretty clownish, goofy guy.

5) What’s the most embarrassing thing that’s happened to you at AU?

Last year as a freshman, we had to do a dance performance at the staff-faculty basketball game, which was pretty embarrassing. We practiced with the dance team and they taught us a few moves. I can still remember the dance.

6) What has been the most difficult part of your sports career so far?

Last year, when I was adjusting as a freshman, I was uptight and nervous. Now, I’m more relaxed and have had a more fun, better year.

Alexis Dobbs

I used to have them last year, but they mess with your mind if you forget. Now I’m trying to stay away from them, but I always wear the same pair of socks. I also used to watch “Switched at Birth” before every game.

Sociology of Birth and Death,which I had last semester with Dr. Brenner. We went on field trips, had simulated pregnancies and made living wills. [Those are] experiences you wouldn’t get in any other class. It was lots of fun.

“Mulan.” Mulan seems really cool, and I love the story behind it. If I could be her, I would.

“Small but Mighty.” I’m short in size but very loud and outgoing, not shy; it reflects my personality.

I’m pretty clumsy. I’m sure there have been plenty of times when I’ve tripped. When I play I’m always tripping and falling on my teammate’s feet.

Definitely injury. It’s tough to transition to college sports in general and injury adds another level. It’s something you can’t control. I had to learn my freshman and sophomore years to learn to manage what I can and can’t do. This year it’s better.

Emily Maher

I wear my hair a certain way. I’ll either braid it or wear it in a ponytail. If it works, I’ll do the same thing for the next game. If not, I’ll change it. Before each game, my teammates and I are always dancing around; we listen to a lot of Nicki Minaj. Recently, we watched “Step Up” so we’ve been dancing to that because of the movie.

Humanitarian Intervention, which is an SIS course I’m taking this semester. We research cases of military interventions during conflict. I want to go into the humanitarian field at an NGO or a non-profit.

“Aladdin,” it’s one of my favorites. I think being Jasmine would be a different experience. Living in a huge palace would be pretty cool.

“Live each day to the fullest.” It’s a bit cliché but I’d say it’s my personal motto.

During games, I always fall down and scuff up my knees. This happens pretty much every day; I’m known for that on the team.

Adjusting to the obstacles of being a student athlete, especially time management. Also improving my game and not taking any steps back. As a team, it’s trying to stay positive and making sure we’re all on the same page.