Sway your way into summer concerts | The American Word

Sway your way into summer concerts

Mary Hamula | 4/25/13 10:55am

Editor’s Note: This article was originally published in the April 25 print edition of our magazine.

As the popularity of indie music increases, music festivals that once hosted only a niche of musically devoted fans have followed the trend with steady growth over time. No matter which coast of the country you live on, what type of music you listen to or whether or not you’re a fan of the outdoors, there is a festival out there for you. Seven of the biggest players, Bonnaroo, Coachella, Sasquatch!, Warped Tour, Firefly Music Festival, Lollapolooza and Electric Forest Festival will bring musical diversity to all corners of the country. For music lovers everywhere, this summer is bound to be a memorable one.

Bonnaroo

• June 13th to June 16th in Manchester, Tenn.
  • Paul McCartney, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Mumford & Sons, The Lumineers, Animal Collective and Of Monsters and Men, Pretty Lights, R.Kelly, Wu Tang Clan and Kendrick Lamar.
  • Boasts an impressive campground with other amenities, such as a film tent and a beer tasting facility.

Coachella

• April 12th-14th and 19th-21st in Indio, Calif.
  • The Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Modest Mouse, The XX, The Postal Service, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Vampire Weekend.
  • Camping is encouraged and fashion labels often take inspiration from the concertgoers.

Van’s Warped Tour

• June 15th-August 4th, nationwide with stops in Canada and the UK.
  • Bowling for Soup, Motion City Soundtrack, a reunited Chiodos featuring a returning Craig Owens on vocals, Big D and the Kids Table, Allstar Weekend, Story of the Year, 3OH!3 and Forever the Sickest Kids.
  • Arguably was the launching point for all current major music festivals, Warped Tour founder Kevin Lyman was the creator of Coachella.
  • Boasts a lineup that caters to a genre forgotten at most other music festivals.

Lollapolooza

• Aug. 2nd through the 4th in Chicago, Ill.
  • Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Black Keys, At the Drive In, Jack White and Florence and the Machines, Bassnectar
  • The diversity of Lollapolooza is what has always drawn people to the festival, and is what is sure to make it a hit again this year.

Electric Forest Festival

• June 27th through the 30th in Rothbury, Mich.
  • The String Cheese Incident, Pretty Lights, Passion Pit, Empire of the Sun, Knifre Fight, Dispatch, Lotus, Benney Benassi, Yeasayer, Beats Antique and Madeon,
  •  The lights illuminate the trees in the area to create an actual “electric forest.”
  • Rivaled by other EDM and House festivals such as Electric Daisy Carnival and Electric Zoo, the unique camping experience of the Electric Forest experience makes it the leader in electronic music festivals.

So whether you’re looking for an indie, alternative or electronic festival, there is a a summer festival that will spark an interest. Rock on this summer and enjoy the festivals on offer.