Tunes of the Town: Kill Lincoln | The American Word

Tunes of the Town: Kill Lincoln

Mary Hamula | 10/4/13 11:45am

(Photo Credit: Nick Baldwin)

Tunes of the Town” is a biweekly interview series with local bands and musicians conducted by Mary Hamula. Fill out the contact form below with any questions or interview suggestions.

Mike1

Photo by:

Mike1

Photo by:

———————————————————————————————————————————————
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE-duwKlHBM]

Kill Lincoln

Kill Lincoln is a local D.C. ska-punk band made up of Mike Sosinski on guitar and vocals, Alan Moore and Hank Hotez on trombone, Marty MacAlister on bass and vocals, Matt Ellis on the saxophone and Tyler Rodgers on drums.

Why did you pick your band name? How did you form?

Tyler: When I was in high school, I tried to get my high school band to be called Kill Lincoln, but they opted for Reckless Noise. So I hoodwinked these guys into calling themselves Kill Lincoln.

Mike: It has nothing to do with killing or Lincoln, it’s a “Fast Times at Ridgemont High” reference.

Mike: After my band in high school, I started writing a lot of music, and my sophomore year in music I met Hotez. Half the band we met on the internet. Marty was a good friend of ours for a while; he doesn’t really play bass but we needed a bass player. Matt Ellis is the most recent addition to the band. We’ve started playing some really good shows and we’ve recorded two albums in the last two years.

What genre of music would you describe your band to be?

Matt: Ska punk. We throw in elements of hardcore and pop punk. We try to be good; we try not to suck.

Do you write your own music?

Matt: Yes, all the music we write. Maybe when I’m rich someone will write some of the stuff for me. We’re writing right now for our next album and we’re constantly writing.

Who or what would you say has the greatest influence on your musical style?

Tyler: It’s a negative thing I guess, we try to not be like certain bands. We try not to be cheesy, that’s like the one conscious thing.

Marty: We all kind of pull in from different musical genres.

Alan: On top of all of us having different tastes, we all have a very wide range of music tastes in general. We’re all kind of diverse to begin with, so it makes it a mash of a bunch of crazy stuff.

What’s your favorite part about being in a band? 

Alan: My favorite part is playing with bands that I grew up listening to. They don’t talk to you like another fanboy because you’re playing the same stage.

Tyler: We’ve watched our fanbase grow here and now we get to help out other bands who are smaller and starting out where we are. A lot of folks who we’re friends with in D.C. we’ve met through the band.

Mike: One of my new favorite things is all the traveling we get to do. We’ve done a couple of tours, and we’ve gone all over, and you can’t always find a good excuse to jump in a van with a bunch of your friends and travel across the country.

What’s your least favorite part about being in a band?

Tyler: Not getting into Canada.

Hank: Coordinating all our schedules, we play in different groups and we’re all super busy. Especially during the songwriting process we’re trying to get together more than once a week. Plus we all work, and it’s a pretty big band. It’s six guys as opposed to three.

What is a typical band practice like?

Mike: It depends on what we have going on, if we’re getting ready for the show we’ll practice our set list for that show. Right now we’re writing so we’re learning new stuff.

Alan: We throw around a lot of useless stuff.

Marty: We have email threads that exceed like 80 in a day so I think everyone gets their socializing and talking out, so when we get to practice it’s basically all playing.

Where is your favorite place to play in D.C.?

Mike: Rock & Roll Hotel, for all of us. Or our basement. Someone bled all over our ceiling last time, it was pretty rough.

What is the strangest venue or gig you have ever played?

Mike: We played this show at GW like two years ago and it was outside on the Mount Vernon campus. It was like a really rainy, nasty day and they didn’t have a stage but they had a couple of risers and would fit a couple of people. So we moved the stage into the street and we played into a hillside and they had like one speaker and no way to plug anything in.

[bandcamp width=100% height=120 album=1371605296 size=medium bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5]

If you could play a show with any band, who would it be?

Mike: Honestly though, a lot of the bands we’d put on this list we’ve played with which is awesome. I think the one band we haven’t played with that we’d want to is the Mighty Mighty Bosstones.

Hank: Maybe the Suicide Machines for me.

Where can people find you and your music on the internet?

Tyler: Bandcamp, iTunes, Spotify, jumpstartrecords.com, Facebook.

Is there anything else you would like to share (i.e. merchandise, tours, new releases)?

Alan: We have vinyl that will be here in the next week; the album was released in June. We have two colors of vinyl and we’ll have those at all the shows starting next week. We have a lot of shows coming up. We’re playing at the 9:30 December 14. We’re playing the Fest in Florida in October. We’re playing at the Rock and Roll Hotel October 7 with the Voodoo Glowskulls and the Toaster.

Next Gig: American University, Kay Basement, October 5

[contact-form-7 id=”641″ title=”Talk of the Town Contact Form”]