Things I Think I Think: Martin Valderruten | The American Word

Things I Think I Think: Martin Valderruten

Mary Hamula | 5/15/15 8:29pm

1. I want people to be able to openly question everything I do as secretary.

I think Student Government needs a facelift. I’ve loved SG since I was a freshman just finding my place at AU, but I think it needs to change. I want a new logo, new website, and new communication system most of all. I want to take the organization I’ve loved and turn it into something that no one feels uncomfortable reaching out to, or questioning. Being able to ask questions and know that SG isn’t trying to hide anything is one of the most important things to me.

2. Kourtney and Kim are my spirit animals.

Keeping Up With the Kardashians is one of my favorite TV shows. Some people may disagree with a lot of what they say or do, but I really respect the way they’ve been able to brand themselves out of almost nothing. Separate from your opinions on Kim K. as a person overall, she’s a PR miracle.

3. I want SG to see some fresh faces.

I think that SG has a long history of “lineages” if you will. I want to get new faces and new ideas into SG to move the organization into a great, new, innovative direction. I think it’s important to have people in SG that know how it works and know what it was in the past, but I also think it’s important to find people willing to move forward instead of getting stuck in the history of it.

4. The Vietnam Memorial is one of the most beautiful in D.C.

In my opinion the Vietnam Memorial is one of the most beautiful and peaceful memorials in D.C. If you haven’t been, it’s basically a walkway with reflective granite walls, with the name of all the American soldiers lost in the war engraved. I love that it so clearly speaks for itself and the simplicity is what makes it so powerful. I love the poetry of literally seeing yourself in those that came before you.

5. I want the pieces of SG to stop acting as gears working in different clocks.

I think one of the biggest problems in SG right now is that each piece of it (the different executive board cabinets, KPU, the Undergraduate Senate) works well individually, but that doesn’t really help anyone if we can’t work together. I think each member of SG and it’s affiliated organizations have done amazing work, but I think with teamwork we could amplify that so much more.