Studio Theatre | The American Word

Studio Theatre

Contemporary Plays and Student Prices on 14th Street

Sofia Crutchfield | 5/15/15 8:02pm

When thinking about the action of seeing a play, much of the student-aged population pictures an elderly socialite’s night on the town. Or a classy setting for the climax of a spy movie. Or maybe that thing you only do when your grandparents are in town for Thanksgiving because your mom just discovered Groupon. But seeing a play is not usually how college kids plan to spend their weekends with friends.

One local D.C. theater is trying to change that. Located on 14th Street, near Logan Circle, Studio Theatre declares itself “Washington’s premier venue for contemporary theatre.” In its multiple theaters, each seating around 200 people for an intimate experience, Studio puts on shows that represent the best of today.

To complement their taste for the contemporary, Studio offers $20 tickets for all students with a high school or college ID. Graduating soon? They also offer a program called Studio25, which sells $25 tickets to anyone under 30. Normal ticket prices range from $50-70.

But they do more to appeal to young adults than just offering cheap tickets. The Studio’s featured plays showcase modern life in a realistic way. This past winter, they featured Joshua Harmon’s play “Bad Jews,” which Studio’s website claims to be a “a lacerating comedy about three twenty-something cousins battling over how best to honor their Holocaust survivor grandfather’s legacy.

Currently showing until May 10 is Murder Ballad, a 2012 rock musical by Julia Jordan and Juliana Nash. The show is a unique Studio Special Event, in which the audience finds themselves immersed in the play itself. It is staged cabaret-style, so viewers watch from small tables around the room while the story, in which an Upper West Side woman with a “perfect” life whose past catches up with her, unfolds around them.

On the main stage, “Jumpers for Goalposts” will be showing from May 13 to June 21, so be sure to grab a ticket if you’re staying in town this summer. Written by a young British playwright named Tom Wells, “Jumpers” is a non-traditional rom-com about a gay and lesbian amateur soccer team in a small Yorkshire town. Wells is trying to change the way gay characters are portrayed in the media. “Jumpers” is about people living their lives and experiencing relationships. The setting isn’t glamorous, but it adds character. For once, there’s a “token straight” in the group.

Studio Theatre’s shows represent something very real. Classic playwrights from Shakespeare to Tennessee Williams are important and their work is monumental—but so is painting a picture of life today. Theatre is just like every other form of media: it’s telling a story that will be a part of history. We should celebrate contemporary artists and unconventional stories, rock musicals and representation. And we should absolutely, above all else, embrace discount tickets.