Blending Your Way to Better Health | The American Word

Blending Your Way to Better Health

Celina Spielman | 10/2/15 10:30am
| Updated 10/2/15 10:32am

Jaclyn Merica /

Just like many freshmen about to enter the world of independence where you can call Domino’s at 3 a.m. without your parents knowing or can get deep fried chicken tenders using a meal swipe, I found myself constantly Googling “ways to avoid freshman 15” every time I treated myself with the former or latter. Every website seemed to say the same thing: portion control, cardio, strength training, calorie counting, eat your greens, don’t eat sugar, etc.

Determined to become the healthiest version of myself that I could possibly be, I decided that it was time for me to go buy some kale. Let’s be honest, no one really loves kale. It’s bitter, has a weird texture and the only way to make it taste better is by drowning it in salad dressing, which defeats the purpose of being a self-certified “health freak.”

Feeling this way about everything that’s good for the human body, yet still wanting to be healthy, I kept searching for ways I could ingest all that healthy stuff without actually tasting it. This is how I stumbled upon the NutriBullet, which changed my perspective on fitness, diet (and kale).

The NutriBullet is a food processor that can blend (literally) anything. It comes in various sizes and allows you to make smoothies, shakes, dips, sauces and much more. Not only does it help you reach your fitness goals, but it also helps you make friends on your floor. Before long, everyone will be asking you to make smoothies.

Here are a few of my favorite recipes that allow me to get a good portion of my daily fruit and vegetable requirements, but at the same time taste sweet enough to qualify as a treat after a workout. The following recipes, which are my go-to recipes for each of the categories, use only three to five ingredients, making it easy to store the appropriate amount of vegetables and fruits in your fridge. These ingredients are also available at Safeway, Giant and Whole Foods.

Breakfast/Brunch

Fruity Oatmeal Smoothie: great for an on-the-go smoothie when you don’t have time for lunch and might be tempted to grab a muffin on your way to class!

½ banana

1 tablespoon honey

1 teaspoon flaxseed

½ cup Greek Yogurt

½ cup cooked oatmeal

⅔ cup juice of any kind (usually orange or cranberry)

2 tablespoons almond milk

Post Workout

Berry Spinach Smoothie

½ cup Greek yogurt

½ cup any type of berries

½ banana

1 handful of baby spinach

1 cup water

(tip: to make it into a smoothie bowl, use frozen berries and ice, and top it off with some acai powder, almonds and honey)

Snacks

Hummus: a good alternative to salad dressing, mayonnaise, or just dipping with chips/veggies

1 handful cooked chickpeas

3 tablespoons of tahini

1 clove of garlic

1 ½ tablespoon of lemon juice

1 pinch of salt

2 tablespoons of water

(tip: grilling four thin-cut slices of red peppers on a pan and then blending it in will give it more flavor)

Dessert (because everyone deserves a treat)

Chocolate Raspberry Ice Cream: A light dessert that is an even healthier alternative to frozen yogurt and ice cream

¼ cup frozen raspberries

1 frozen banana

1 tablespoon cocoa powder

½ cup chocolate almond milk

These four very basic recipes are just a start to all the greatness you can concoct! The NutriBullet is available through their website, or for better deals checkout Amazon.com.

So hit Amazon, then the grocery store, and finally whip yourself up a smoothie so you can take a big step to being the best version of yourself tomorrow!