Tips for Getting Into the Fall Mood | The American Word

Tips for Getting Into the Fall Mood

Celina Spielman | 10/15/15 10:13pm
| Updated 10/20/15 9:27am

Lindsay Maizland /

Fall is here, and the holiday season is just around the corner. Getting into the holiday mood while at college home can be a little difficult because you’re not at home where you and your siblings enjoy decorating your front door with spooky ornaments or go shopping for the right pumpkin to carve for the season. However, mixing the fall celebrations in with your college experience is one thing that makes the transition to college much more fun.

Here are some tips as to how you can make celebrating fall feel like you’re at home:

1) Personalize your room for the fall

Buy a few ornaments to decorate your door. Stores like CVS in Tenley, Marshalls and TJ Maxx in Friendship Heights and Target in Columbia Heights always have sales on Halloween ornaments. Here are a few examples of what some people have been doing to get into the spooky fall mood around campus:

Even with a college budget, you’ll be surprised with what you can do with orange, yellow, red and brown colored paper.

2) Substitute the smell of candles by making a DIY Pumpkin Pie Carpet Deodorizer

If you haven’t figured this out already, carpet deodorizers are a must when it comes to keeping your room clean. To make your room smell like fall, add one cup of baking soda with one teaspoon of Pumpkin Pie Spice (available at Safeway, Whole Foods and Giant) into a container, sprinkle it onto your carpet and vacuum over it.

3) Plan a fall trip with your friends to some of Virginia’s pumpkin patches

With great car sharing services on campus like Zipcar, planning a trip to a pumpkin patch is a great way to get off campus and explore what the surrounding states have to offer. A personal favorite spot of mine is the Cox Farms, which hosts one of the largest fall festivals in Virginia. Here you can buy pumpkins to carve before Halloween, or just enjoy the festivities of fall.

4) Start thinking about how you’re going to spend Halloween

Halloween is approaching faster than you think! Which means that you need to find something to wear, somewhere to go, and most importantly, you need to build up an appetite for all that candy! D.C. has many activities to offer during Halloweekend, such as trick-or-treating at Embassy Row, Nightmare on M Street and other events happening on campus. So hit some department stores for costumes, or if you’re feeling really festive, try stores like Total Fright, which cater to this occasion.

So with all of these cool ideas, enjoy fall in your new home!