Express Yourself with AU in Motion This Weekend | The American Word

Express Yourself with AU in Motion This Weekend

Samiksha Shetty | 11/20/15 2:04pm

Photo courtesy of AU In Motion

Need something to do tonight or tomorrow night this weekend? Check out AU in Motion’s showcase “Bust A Move”!

A student-run dance organization on campus, AU in Motion holds open auditions at the beginning of the fall and spring semesters to recruit choreographers and dancers for their showcases. This semester’s showcase features dancers from a variety of backgrounds and dancing pieces in the styles of Caribbean, Jazz, Bollywood, Contemporary, Tap, Tahitian and more. AU in Motion’s showcases change based on choreographers, so different styles and pieces are performed every semester.

The typical practice schedule is said to be about an hour-a-week per piece and is determined and run by the choreographer. AU in Motion performers can be found practicing in studios in the Katzen Arts Center, Cassell Fitness Center and more.

“Performances, like any show, are a mix of chaos and adrenaline,” said Monica Bogan, a junior at AU and a member of AU in Motion. “But every performer has an absolute blast.”

The showcase is a truly a student collaboration and an exhibition of their passion for dance.

“Within this club, I’ve had the ability to connect and bond with people over something that I care so deeply about, and I think that’s really special. We all come from such different backgrounds, both in our personal lives and in our dance backgrounds, but we all come together to put on this Showcase and show the community what we love to do,” said Bogan. “Our dancers are all students, and our choreographers are all students. I choreographed the tap piece and this is my first time having the opportunity to choreograph; that wouldn’t have happened without AU in Motion.”

AU in Motion is currently adding the finishing touches to their fall showcase. The performance will take place on Friday, November 20 and Saturday, November 21 at Greenberg Theatre with doors opening at 7:30pm.

Tickets are $10 online and $15 at the door. Grab tickets here: http://american.tix.com/Schedule.aspx?OrgNum=629

To learn more about AU in Motion, check them out on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/auinmotion/