D.C.’s Top 4 Fitness Fads | The American Word

D.C.’s Top 4 Fitness Fads

Julienne DeVita | 5/14/16 4:39pm

Hoakalei Dawson /

There’s not enough time to try D.C.’s different fitness venues to find what you enjoy, so I’ve tried a few for you. I’ve ranked each popular fitness venue that I have visited and offered my opinions. As a Division 1 runner at AU who regularly exercises, I believe that everyone can be an athlete once you find the right fit. The more you enjoy an exercise, the more you are going to get out and do it.

#1: Urban Boxing

Urban Boxing is a boxing, kickboxing and Muay Thai fitness gym in Georgetown. Urban Boxing offers classes to all levels, so there is no need to feel intimidated if you haven’t thrown a punch since the kindergarten playground. If you thrive off intensity and love the surge of adrenaline, Urban Boxing is the place for you. The experience at Urban Boxing is unique because the gym feels inclusive, yet intense. The class offers a grueling combination of strength and endurance, never failing to provide that full-body fatigue by the time you leave. The instructors are extremely motivating, however, there is a lot of self-discipline required in this sport. 100 percent chance of soreness guaranteed.

#2: CorePower

CorePower is a combination between weight training and yoga. All classes at CorePower are heated, so I hope you like it hot n’ heavy. Half of the classes are yoga with weighted exercises, and the other half are strictly traditional yoga. Every class uses music to create an upbeat and modern environment, which I found motivating. Compared to exercises such as boxing, running or biking, CorePower classes require less cardio. The primary focus of class is weighted endurance exercises combined with flexibility and mobility. I found this class less challenging than a boxing class, but I reaped the benefits of relaxation and flexibility through the yoga portion of class. If you are someone who enjoys practicing yoga strictly for meditation, I would stray from here. If you’re looking to loosen up after your first Urban Box, this is your spot.

#3: SoulCycle

SoulCycle workouts are cycling classes taught by instructors who constantly guide you. SoulCycle is a great cardio workout but not a full body strength workout, as it primarily works the muscles in your lower body. These classes are focused on tapping into your emotions by shouting motivational phrases and blasting loud music. If you are easily motivated by people surrounding you, SoulCycle is a great class for you. However, if you’re not really into that, it’s easy to feel awkward and uncomfortable. I personally found the instructor excessive and distracting. I felt like I could not focus on my workout and did not get what I paid for from this class.

#4: CrossFit on 14th Street

The goal of CrossFit is to maximize your workout given the amount of time you have. This constant goal of beating the clock yields an intense effort and high power output in each class. I found this class to be ideal for people who are very competitive and strive to improve. I didn’t like that almost every exercise was based off time, which can be dangerous if you’re not careful and aware of your body’s limitations. Another issue with the competition and high intensity of CrossFit is that there is little focus on recovery time. The risk of becoming addicted to all things CrossFit is also very high, so proceed with caution when checking out this workout venue.