The Salvation of “Youth Authority” | The American Word

The Salvation of “Youth Authority”

Good Charlotte comes to D.C.

Anneliese Waters | 11/10/16 2:09pm

Courtesy of Good Charlotte

Catch Good Charlotte Nov. 15 at 7:00 p.m. at Echostage.

If there isn’t a better week to bitterly laugh at the absurdity of this world, why don’t we also talk about pop punk? This discarded genre gives us light, bubbly melodies to create a burning tension between sheer, angsty juvenile delinquent-esque lyrics. We are allowed to recognize this surface level joy we experience in the world while our rebellion quells beneath the surface. Pop punk is this embodiment of trying to live a functional, happy life while still acknowledging a nihilism that lives deep inside you.

While we may laugh at this genre in social settings, when we go home and put on our seventh grade Van Warped Tour studded belt, there is no other freedom like it. Good Charlotte’s newest album “Youth Authority” combines an adult-like calmness with their proud, dominant pop punk style. This is the band’s first release since their 2010 album “Cardiology,” and with the fall of pop punk, it has left many asking why now? The answer lies in the fact that we may need pop punk now more than ever. We need an outlet to simultaneously unite us in joy and anger, something that gives us the liberation to smile while we scream.

The Madden brothers have used music to express their frustrations with this world. The brothers were raised single handedly by their chronically ill mother, while their father was absent all throughout their childhood. The raw anger that has been expressed in previous albums through violent guitar solos and screams is still present on the new album while also taking a new, more imaginative approach. “Youth Authority” includes much more subtle, electronic undertones giving the album a more reflective and tame feeling. The album shows the evolution of the band and how they merged their high school angst with their more pensive adulthood. The new album’s more pop sound is likely to please a wider audience and will hopefully infect all old disbelievers with the emancipation pop punk can gave you. Despite all your previous notions about the validity of pop punk “Youth Authority” may be exactly what we all need right now to create a little chaos.

Buy tickets here.